Depression is a difficult condition to be in. When someone is depressed they feel sad, helpless, hopeless and worthless. And while everyone has depressed times when bad things happen to us someone who is depressed is like that all the time. And if you partner or friend has depression that will have an influence on you.
So there are a few things that you should and should not do if you know someone that has a clinical depression.
- Depression is curable but it is not up to you to do that, leave it to the professionals. So my first tip would be, do not try to cure that person it will only backfire.
- Give the person you care about the space they need. A depressed person is not as functional and productive as you might be.
- Do not push them to do things they do not want.
- Suggest doing fun things but only if they agree to it.
- Do not try talking about there feelings but let them come to you with it.
- Try to understeand that they might have a hard time with the simpelest things like going out, working, waking up and having the energy to do things.
- Lead the way, but do so in a way that you can always take a step back or even cancel the plans you were going to do.
- Do not blame a depressed person for things that they did not do. This will only make them feel worse and more helpless.
- Advice to maybe make an appointment with a specialist on that area. Tell him/her that it might help them and even ask to go with them to the meetings if they want to.
It is really hard dealing with a depressed person day in day out. But with this tips you at least have a good start not to make things worst.